Monday, October 6, 2014

Homecoming Happenings




This past Friday, Papa, my dad was receiving an award from the Excellence in Education Foundation in Charleston, IL. Part of receiving the award meant he had to make an appearance and be introduced on the field Friday night for the Trojans homecoming game. I don't think I've been back to Trojan Hill since I was in High School. It was strange. Different but also very much the same. And to make it even better, the Trojans were playing Mt. Zion. I joked on facebook that we were a family divided...2 Trojans and 3 little Braves. Leah was cracking me up. She couldn't decide who she should cheer for so she came up with the 50/50 thumbs up. She wanted to cheer for her school, but also wanted to cheer for Papa's team. Tough call...I told her it's totally okay for her to cheer for Mt. Zion.

Anyway, the whole reason we went to support Papa at the game was because Gigi was out of town. We wanted someone to be there to cheer when they introduced him. I'm glad we went and the girls sure had fun. They thought the marching band was amazing. I'm always proud of my dad and all the ways he continues to give back to the community. He really is a very giving and loving guy. Yeah, I said it...he's pretty cool. But I was especially moved by the actions of my new community. Recently two Charleston Trojan football players were diagnosed with cancer. One is bad enough, but two has been devastating to the town of Charleston. Mt. Zion rallied and presented a $1000 check to the families at Friday nights game. A true act of sportsmanship. It brought tears to my eyes. So cheers to Mt. Zion for being SO AWESOME...and cheers to our Papa for being pretty awesome too!

No comments: