Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Sabino Canyon








Mitch and I went to Tucson last week for a quick getaway! We needed it! This was supposed to be our anniversary trip, but when I threw my hip out in December we had to postpone. The timing was perfect, Baylee was home for Spring Break to watch the girls. We got to Tucson on Wednesday afternoon. On Thursday we had big plans to go for our first hike in Sabino Canyon. I had never done 7 Falls, I always wanted too, but thought 8 miles was too much for me. This was Mitch's first time out there. And I knew it was going to be a great day. I was even happier when my sister decided that she wanted to join us!!!

We got to the canyon around 9 and started our trek. We moved quickly and that first 4 miles to the Falls wasn't that hard. We got off the path for a short while but quickly found our way back. The weather was perfect, a little overcast with temps in the high 60's. At times I needed a jacket. When we got to the falls, I couldn't believe it...there were teenagers in the water...in bikinis!!! No thanks!

We sat and enjoyed the view for awhile, grabbed and snack and rehydrated before making our way back. We were about a mile in to the 4 miles back when it happened. At one of the river crossings, I lost my footing on a slippery rock. I leaned down to brace myself on another rock and my phone fell right out of my pocket into the river. I quickly went in after it. So there it was. I could tell that Mitch was NOT HAPPY! We powered it off and went on our way. I had to do the last 3 miles with sopping wet shoes. But we made it. It took us 4 hours to do 8 miles, a little over 21,000 steps and we were done. With only one casualty...my phone!

On the way back to Gigi and Papa's house we stopped at whole foods for some lunch and a bag of rice. I'm happy to say that after 3 days submerged in rice, my phone made a complete recovery. It sure makes for a great memory, and now I can't wait for the girls to be old enough to make the hike with us!

Thursday night after the hike!

No comments: