Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Run, Run, Run as fast as you can...








Yesterday was 1-11-11, what a cool date. I guess the only one better will 11-11-11. We spent the morning at Terhune Orchards. They did a Read and Share about Gingerbread Men. It was so much fun. After waking up Leah yesterday morning I told her we were going to go to the Orchard to make a Gingerbread Man with Kathleen and Ryan. I kept repeating "Run, run, run as fast as you can. You can't catch me I'm the Gingerbread Man." I couldn't remember the whole story or I would have gone there. She kept referencing the Gingerbread Man cookie in the movie Shrek, which tells me that she watched "Shrek the Halls" way to many times this Holiday season at Gigi's house.

Once we got to the Orchard they set us up in one of the Greenhouses where it was nice and warm. The lady in charge went over how some of the ingredients used to make Gingerbread men were grown on farms. She talked about wheat becoming flower, cinnamon, and ginger roots. Leah is holding it in one of the pictures. Then she showed them seedlings that were beginning to grow and I thought she did a really good job. After the farm presentation she read The Gingerbread Man story. I was happy to learn that Leah had been listening to me, as she recited the "Run, run, run..." sequence of the story. After the story they passed out the cookies and little kits for the kids to make their own little men. Leah had such a good time, she was especially excited about the sprinkles, but then again what kid doesn't get excited about sprinkles. I must say she really did a good job. I let her eat a little bit of him there and we brought the rest home.

Kiersten did great too. She just crawled around on the table tops watching the action, probably thinking "Hey, where is my Gingerbread Man." I must admit I started to feel a little sorry for her so I gave her a taste of the icing and slipped a chocolate chip or two into her mouth. Afterwards we walked around the Orchard. Saw the goats, a duck a rooster and of course we had to pet the dogs and the kitty. We always end our trip with a walk through the store where Leah picked out a few MacIntosh Apples and some Oatmeal Raisin Cookies, Yummm!

No comments: