Friday, September 14, 2012

A Wonderful Woman


 
Yesterday I lost my grandmother, Evelyn Schaumburg. We knew it was coming, and as much as I tell myself that we had time to prepare, it doesn't make it any easier. She was amazing...everything that a Grandma should be. When I was a kid I LOVED going to her house, and I couldn't wait to see her. She was so loving...and a great cook. We joke about what a food pusher she was, always encouraging you to eat more. And of course we did, because it was so good. Homemade Cherry Pies, with cherries picked from the tree right outside the kitchen window. Homemade chicken and noodles, Beautiful and delicious Christmas cookies made with cookie cutters. What wasn't to love...it was always good eating, but it was the extra love that made it all the more special.

I can remember going up to visit her on my own after my grandfather passed away. We would find stuff to do in little Buckingham, we would walk and talk on our way to the post office. We would drive into Kankakee for a movie and of course some ice cream! She even came to Charleston to stay with us quite a bit.  Laura and I were recalling some of those memories on the phone yesterday after she passed. Laura LOVED to "shock" Grandma and it wasn't very hard to do. When Laura was in 7th grade and in her confirmation classes we were in my mom's kitchen and Laura just blurts out "Grandma, did you have premarital sex???" Oh.My.Goodness!!! Her face was priceless and she actually answered her...honestly! It was so funny, and something we still laugh about today...and it was the first of many shock value moments between Laura and Grandma. Eventually she got used to them and would just shake her head and laugh. I can still hear her laugh...I hope that never goes away.
 
Laura and I talked about other memories, camping trips to KOA in Casey that included our great Uncle Marlin, Aunt Dorothy and cousins Angie, Amber and Abby. Trips to Arizona after Laura started college in Arizona. One thing you can say about my Grandma, she lived her life to the fullest. Into her late 70's she continued to work as an election judge and was named Red Cross Volunteer of the year in 1999 or 2000. What a special lady. She was a loyal and faithful servant to the Lord and served on commities at church and attended bible studies and services regularly. But most importantly, she loved her family...they always came first. In her final days my mother and her two brothers kept vigil at my Grandma' bedside, none of them wanting her to be alone. On Thursday afternoon they all left her room for a few minutes, and it was then that she decided she was ready to go. She was protecting her children to the end, and didn't want them to see her die. I know where my mom gets her "mothering" and strength from and I hope that I can carry on the tradition. So for now, It's not Goodbye...It's see you later. You will continue to be loved and missed the remaining days of our lives. 
 






2 comments:

Suze said...

So sorry for your loss! No matter how "prepared" you are, grief is still part of the process we must go through. Sending prayers and may your grandmother be watching over you and your family now!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures. Keep the good memories alive, thinking of you and your family at this difficult time.