Friday, March 11, 2011

Birthday Bug






This past Tuesday our little Kiersten officially turned 1! I decided to do the day up big...well, big for a one year old. It started with me rocking Kiersten and singing Happy Birthday to her as soon as she woke. We hit up the post office bright and early to mail some documents back to Illinois, and then we had a very healthy breakfast of Strawberry Sundaes at McDonalds. Mitch was like "You did WHAT for breakfast???" Oh well! So we played and snuggled and cuddled and read stories throughout the day and when the girls woke from their naps we had a great big heaping snack of fresh Chocolate Chip Cookies. Followed by a last minute trip to the store to pick out some special birthday cupcakes!

Of course I kept thinking about where and what we were doing a year ago. She was born just after midnight so for the most part I was remembering trying to get her to eat and holding her in the NICU. When Mitch got him we took her ceremonial 8th of the month picture for the last time. She is such a ham! We had a good dinner and she definitely enjoyed hearing us sing Happy Birthday to her, as she clapped along. We gave her the cupcake with the candle in it and I helped her blow it out. Not at all like her birthday party, this time she wasn't really interested in her cake. I had to break it into a few pieces before she would even touch it, and even then she wasn't really too interested. Maybe we overdid it with ice cream and cookies, but anyway after her bath I took her to her room rocked her in my arms and sang "You are my sunshine..." to her. Just like I did while she was in the hospital and so many nights after. I kissed her gently and put her to bed. Not a bad way to end the day if you ask me.

I took Kiersten for her 12 month/1 year check-up today. She is doing great. She hasn't had a bottle since March 1st and on March 3rd she started saying "Crackers" It's so cute. Her weight is up to 20 lbs 10.5 oz (40th percentile) and her length is 29.75 inches (75th percentile) so she is on target and charts along the same lines that she always has. She is definitely getting more and more vocal. Mitch and I have both noticed this. Lots more babbling and making sounds and she is getting much louder...I think she has to or she will never be heard over Leah, ha ha! Anyway, it was a good visit and just confirms how blessed we are with 2 happy and healthy little girls.

No comments: