Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The 4th Trimester

The Fourth Trimester and Life Post-Partum...
For me personally the fourth trimester is much more difficult than the 3rd trimester. SO many changes to get used to: Hair loss, hormone changes, sleep deprivation and engorgement...No one tells you that breastfeeding can become a full-time job in addition to taking care of your toddler and your newborn :)

I will say that this time around the 4th trimester seems to be going a bit smoother. I don't know if that is because Kiersten is such a different baby than Leah was or if it's because I knew what to expect this time around or a little bit of both. But man, do I miss my sleep. At least when Leah was an infant I could nap when she napped. With a non-napping toddler in the house, I am having a hard time catching up on my zzz's.

Then there is the breastfeeding...I will stick it out as long as it takes. I know that it's the best thing for Kiersten. With Leah we made it almost 5 months so this time I am shooting for at least 6, but my kids LIKE, no LOVE to eat. They say that newborns are feed on demand and Kiersten sure is demanding. She likes to cluster feed, meaning that she will eat every hour for 4 hours straight and then take a 3 hour break and start again. I really need to get this kid on a schedule and just when I think the cluster feeding at night has stopped it start's up again. Thankfully I have a wonderfully supportive husband who is very PRO-breastfeeding and never asks me to just give her a bottle. I think he likes that breastmilk is free :)

Anyway, the fourth trimester is well under way and hopefully well on it's way out. Kiersten is 3 weeks old now and routine will surely be setting in...She's crying...there's my cue.


Kiersten often folds her hands in prayer at mealtime.

Leah can't wait to be able to hold her.

No comments: