Monday, March 1, 2010

More than a man...


That is how I describe my husband. He is the most amazing father to our daughter. He is more than my husband he is my best friend. I know it's cliche' to say that he completes me, but honestly he makes me feel whole and I probably don't tell him enough how much he means to me and how VERY MUCH I appreciate him. I am beyond lucky to be married to a man who fully shares the responibilities, who just pitches in and takes care of (most) things without having to be asked, who has our families best interest at heart. He takes such amazing care of Leah and I...I can't even begin to imagine our lives without him.

I think I knew from the very beginning that he was something special. On our first date, it was a Tuesday, we went to Guido's in Champaign. We were there for almost 7 hours, just talking. It was like we had known each other for years and were very old friends. Our 2nd date was even longer. I think we were up talking all night long and decided to call it a "night" and talk again more the next time. I couldn't wait for the next time!!! After about 5 week of "casual dating" we decided that we weren't going to see anyone else and see what evolved...BEST decision of my life...and I would like to think best decision of his life too. After a few months I was pretty sure that I was going to spend the rest of my life with him...it took him a little longer, but just shy of one year together we were making plans for the future...our life together.

In the beginning we had so much fun together and did so many things together. We did weekend trips to St. Louis (the World Series, YAY) and Chicago. We went the Minnesota to visit his family a few times. We went to Gatlinburg, TN and did some light hiking in the Smokey Mountains, we went to Arizona and Boston. We LOVED to travel. Not knowing at the time that we were about to travel a different direction...our move to New Jersey. We left for the East coast just weeks after getting married. Mitch started a new job, we got a house and had a baby...talk about a roller coaster. Neither of us realized how hard it would be to move so far from both of our families, but together we are making it work. Now, here we are expecting baby #2 sometime in the next week.

As a husband, Mitch sets the bar pretty high. He is an amazing support person. He makes it very easy to talk to him, and he listens and gives me his honest opinions. One thing that we have both learned is that you have to learn from your past mistakes...honesty, communication and respect guide our relationship with one another and so far it's been pretty close to perfect.

As a father Mitch is even better. There is nothing I enjoy more than watching him interact with Leah. His face lights up when he sees her and words can't describe how much this little girl LOVES her daddy. The first thing she says on weekday mornings is "daddy at work" in a question tone of voice with her hands in the air. And when she hears that front door open at 5 pm...nothing can slow her down or stand in her way of seeing her daddy. I know that a lot of father's today are much more hands-on their fathers were, but again...Mitch goes above and beyond. He is truly an equal partner, and not because I have asked him to but because he wants to. It's going to be amazing to see him hold our second child sometime in the next week. I can't wait to see how he responds and how much love his heart is going to hold for his second child. I know that it will overflow, the way his love for Leah and I does. We are beyond blessed to have this amazing man in our lives. I hope that as the years go by our love for one another and for our family will continue to grow.

Here are a few quotes from Why a Daughter Needs a Dad, these are the ones that remind me of Mitch.
  • A daughter needs a dad to build a loving home on a foundation of wisdom and understanding.
  • A daughter needs a dad to make the family whole and complete.
  • A daughter needs a dad to teach her that family is more important than work.
  • A daughter needs a dad to remind her of the comfort of being held near and feeling secure.
  • A daughter needs dad so she will know what it is like to be somebody's favorite.

Thank you, Mitch. For being the most amazing father, husband and friend...mostly for being you.


No comments: