Sunday, March 9, 2014

Generosity of Spirit

So we took the girls to Dairy Queen for dinner. It's a tradition...we always go on their birthday. So Mitch went up after we ate to get ice cream, and an older man walked past us. He stopped and said "3 girls?"...so I made small talk with him for a minute and he said he had four daughters and that we should "seize every opportunity to have fun with them because they are grown and gone before you know it." I said that we were surely blessed and he replied "Blessed by God indeed." and wished Bug a Happy Birthday. I thanked him and he went on his way and got some ice cream of his own.

This guy was easily in his late 70's...long white hair in the back and a long white beard in front. I was secretly worried that Hattie would say "ho ho ho" since he somewhat resembled Santa. He had on a hat, khaki pants and a blue jacket that said RP Lumber.

Before he left DQ, he came back to our table and said that he could tell that we were a good family raising our kids up right, and that it wasn't often he saw such young children so well behaved in a restaurant, and said the world would be a better place if there were more parents like us around...he proceeded to put $30 down on the table...I tried to decline...and before I could get it all out he said "the next time you take your beautiful family out for dinner I want it to be on me." He said "May God bless you all, and you have a good night." I said "thank you so much sir. God bless you too." And he walked away.

What kindness and generosity!!! I think he was lonely and the fact that I talked to him, made eye contact and gave him just a little bit of my time made his day. And in return...he made mine. I wish I could give him a proper "Thank You"...what a great day!






No comments: