Tuesday, August 7, 2012

"C" is for Carrot



This drought is the WORST! Of course, I shouldn't really complain...it's the farmers who are taking the brunt  of it. The corn looks horrible, and in many areas they have already started to harvest. And it's much earlier than normal. We are still having a fruitful garden. Mitch has worked so hard on the garden this year. And Leah and Kiersten love being his helpers. They spend time out there everyday. They pick beans with him and hold the bags/buckets that get filled with fresh produce and then run to show me what they have.

So far this summer we have gotten more beans than we can count...enough to last us through the winter. Tons of tomatoes that are being put to good use and canned for pizza sauce and marinara. I've got about 10 jars of pickles in the basement from all the cucumbers and we can't forget all the peppers, spinach, zucchini and more that we've gotten. Right now I'm anxiously awaiting the acorn squash and the butternut squash. Mitch makes the most amazing butternut squash soup!

Well, starting on Thursday the water restrictions are stepping up a notch to complete water restriction. No watering landscaping, washing the car, filling the pool, etc. You can water gardens that grow food for "human Consumption" but you can only do so using a 5 gallon bucket...no sprinkler, and still only on Tues, Thurs and Sat. I'm bummed! It's sad to see something that Mitch worked so hard on get left in the dust, literally...dust is all we will have soon. The lake level is so LOW. I'm going to go get a picture. They say the last time water restrictions were this severe were in the 30's and 50's...We need rain. This weekend the girls enjoyed carrots straight out of the ground. These pictures crack me up, especially the Sunday morning bed head. Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to do a rain dance. Wish me luck!

No comments: