Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Stomach Bugs


As hard as I worked to avoid it...it happened. And by it, I mean the flu. Although technically our doctor says it wasn't the flu, just a nasty stomach bug. But it sure looked like the flu and it was dreadful. I started on Wednesday night/Thursday morning when Leah came into our room just after 3 AM and said she had thrown up in her bed. The next morning she got up and said she felt okay, and she didn't have any fever so I told her to go ahead and start getting ready for school...it was Valentine's Day and she was so upset thinking she had to miss the party. Well by the time we got downstairs she was changing her tune. She said her stomach hurt and she didn't think she should go to school. I knew she had to be sick. So I called and let St. Pauls know and within minutes of me hanging up the phone she was throwing up again. By noon she had gotten sick at least 5 times and had to take two showers. After that we put her hair in a ponytail and she got the hang of using a bucket. 

Thursday night she was doing better and on Friday she seemed to be on the mend. I put Hattie down for a nap around 9:30. When she hadn't woke up by noon I went to check on her and to my dismay she had gotten sick in her crib...really sick. And then proceeded to lay in it for over 2 hours. Her hair was matted, it was dried in her eyelashes, her clothes were covered and it was even in her ears. I had no idea but she hadn't fussed once. So into the bathtub she went. Friday night around 7 PM Bug started to complain of an upset tummy and was throwing up in no time. She even woke us up 4 times Friday night Saturday morning to change the sheets. And the kicker...so did Leah! Saturday was a lay on the couch with your bucket and do nothing day. Thankfully no one got sick Saturday night. Kiersten had one episode on Sunday morning and by Sunnday night we were flu...or stomach bug free.

I don't know how Mitch and I managed to avoid it, but thankfully we did. We were exhausted all the same from all the middle of the night linen changing and the LOADS of laundry, but so very thankful that our illness was short lived. The one plus of sick kids, LOTS of extra snuggles :)








No comments: