Saturday, December 31, 2011

Happy 60th Birthday, Papa...and a Happy New Year Too!

New Years Eve is my father's birthday. When I was a kid I always thought..."that has to stink" but my dad always said "It's great, there is always a party on my birthday." Well, today: 12-31-11 was my dad's 60th. We wanted to do something special but how can you top a New Years Party? Instead we had a surprise breakfast birthday brunch. My mom pulled out all the stops! There was a Egg Casserole, Biscuits and Sausage Gravy, Strawberry Bread, Zucchini Bread, Hash Browns, Sausage links and Fresh Fruit. It was fantastic. We set the alarm and got the girls up and out the door by 8:30...and by 10 AM we were HUNGRY! Dad didn't act to surprised. Mom and I both commented, he acts like she cooks like that everyday, ha! But it was still great. Matt, Cynthia and Colby joined us too.

I am never sure what to get my dad for his birthday...I mean what do you buy the guy who has everything? And if he doesn't have it and wants it he will have it with in a matter of days. I sent out a message on Facebook. I let a whole lot of friends and family know that I wanted birthday cards or messages for my dad on his birthday. Our friends and family did not disappoint. I got cards, I got emails, I got messages typed up on WORD...and they were all fantastic. I put them all in a scrapbook and presented it to Dad for his birthday. It was great. Even I enjoyed reading the stories, memories and well wishes that everyone shared. I wasn't sure how dad would react, but he read the whole thing once I gave it to him. He laughed, he cried and overall I think he really appreciated it. "No man is a failure, who has friends." One of the best quotes from It's a Wonderful Life and so true. Happy Birthday, Dad...We love you: Mitch, the girls and I.



So after our birthday brunch with Papa, we came home to rest up for the New Years festivities. Kiersten and mommy both took good naps and shortly after 5 we packed up and headed to Monticello. Our friends Laura and Bryce McCleary invited us to spend the evening playing games at their place and it sounded great to us because the kids were included. Laura and Bryce have a 2 year old boy and 1 year old girl, and they make perfect little playmates for our little ones. The kids played so well together, loved eating pizza and cupcakes, and watched Snow White while the grown-ups...Laura, Bryce, Ellen, and Mitch and I played Bezzerwizzer, and Mexican Train. And while we didn't make it to midnight, little ones needed to get the bed, it was the perfect way to ring in the New Year. The kids have the noise makers and glow bracelets to help them celebrate for days to come. Thanks, Laura and Bryce for a good time.

1 comment:

The McClearys said...

Thanks so much for coming! It was a great way to end the year!