Friday, October 26, 2012

BOO! At the Zoo

This week Mitch had to go to Iowa. He is working on a collaboration that would require them to use this specific technology that is being done and so he went to check it out with a few co-workers. At least, I think that is what he was doing. Most of his scientist work is over my head, LOL! So I attempted to be super mom. Okay, well maybe not super mom...but I did somehow find enough "gusto" to get all three kids out of the house for a fun night on the town by myself. Yes, I take all three out a lot on my own, but it's usually doctors appointments, school drop-off or pick-up, and other daily errands. This was for Fun! I had my doubts going into it. I was nervous, but they were SO good! I got lucky with this bunch, ha!

It was such a gorgeous Indian Summer day. Seriously, I had all the windows open and it was a balmy 78 degrees. The big girls were playing outside while I fed Hattie and got her in her "white rabbit" costume. I called them in a little after 5 and we started getting ready to go. I knew that once the sun went down it would get chilly...but I had no idea! As we pulled into Scovill Zoo parking lot it started to rain. For Real! I thought Leah was going to lose it. But I looked at the weather map and could tell it was going to pass quickly, so I told her we were just going to wait in the car for a few minutes. The event was supposed to start at 5:30 and there was a LONG line...even in the rain. And as I unloaded them from the car I glanced at my phone to see that the temp had dropped in 15 minutes from 78 to 63, YIKES! And I didn't have a jacket. We had to wait in line for 15 minutes before getting into the zoo. I figured it was best to do the carousel right off the bat since there wasn't a long line. And of course they loved it. I had to have a volunteer sit with Hattie in her stroller since Leah and Kiersten are too short/small to ride on their own. I felt okay about it though because I could see her at all times. And of course she was an angel and didn't make a peep the entire time. 

After that we started our walk through the zoo. It was getting dark quickly so we didn't really see any animals. But the girls LOVED all the Halloween decorations and the amazing carved pumpkins that they had along the path. Seriously...some really cool pumpkins. They were especially fond of The Grinch, Horton the Elephant, Beast from Beauty and the Beast. I loved the Abraham Lincoln and Professor Snape from Harry Potter. They were amazing. Along the route they had different treat stands set up. Each kid had 10 tickets to hand in at each stand. The girls favorite by far was #10, Caramel Apples from Del's...but who wouldn't love that, right?!?!? It was awesome. they were awesome and it is definitely something we will do again in the years to come. 












No comments: