Tuesday, August 24, 2021

When in DC: Part 2

Next up we headed to the White House…Casa Blanca! It was an interesting walk. We stepped into a gift shop to get the girls hats. The sun was blazing, it was 93 degrees and they didn’t want to squint all day. While Mitch was paying we waited out on the street. Three secret service cars pulled up with lights on, officers got out and strapped on big guns. After a few minutes we were happy to move along, but they stuck around for a while.




We kept right on moving to Pennsylvania Avenue. I was super disappointed that my kids didn’t know the address of the White House, But I’ll let it slide. There was a “fun” little protest going on and they were holding up letters that spelled out “step up Joe”…not sure what they were protesting about. I’m guessing Afghanistan (it’s August 2021) but we didn’t pay them much attention. It did however spark an interesting conversation about peaceful protest. Then we were able to sneak a peek at the White House. I wish they had placards for you to view and read about the history, but I’m guessing they really don’t want people loitering. We had to get an obligatory picture of the statue of Lafayette…because Hamilton.






We stopped at the Corner Bakery (think Panera) for a quick lunch…it was glorious to sit in air conditioning and drink ice water, and then we headed to the Washington Monument. Hattie referred to it as the big stick more times than I’d like to admit!!! I gave the girls my phone for selfies, because girls. But the views from every side blew me away.















No comments: