Thursday, November 29, 2012

Throwback Thursday: September and a Surprise Visit Home










September was a busy time. We went to a labor day cookout at one of Mitch's co-workers homes...but it was nothing to write home about. No one was overly friendly and if anything it made me more homesick. Good thing I had a reason to pack up and head home. My grandparents, Merle and Loraine Myerscough, were about to celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary.Mitch had plans to renovate our bathroom and me being gone gave him the perfect time to get the job done. My mom had worked with my grandpa to plan a celebration dinner. Mom made the reservations but Grandpa handled the rest on his own. He invited almost 100 friends and family to attend a dinner at the Country Club. The surprise part comes in because while he had planned the party, he didn't know that my sister and I were coming home. Out of all their Grandchildren...only my sister and I had moved away. We were happy to come home for the celebration.

This time I flew with Leah on my own. And she did surprisingly well...so far this flying with infants stuff was a piece of cake! I flew in on Thursday night, and the dinner was on Sunday. Grandpa gave a touching speech about how he and Grandma met...a story I had never heard before. She was a teenage girl living on her parents farm, and my grandfather and his brother Gerald both worked for the local dairy and they had to go out to the farm a few times a week to either collect or drop off milk (that part isn't so clear in my head). My grandpa took a liking to my grandma right away, but kept procrastinating on asking her out until Gerald finally told him if he didn't ask her on a date, he was going too. That got Grandpa moving, there first date was in March 1948...and within a few months time they were married...Sept. 1948. So 5 boys, countless moves, 12 grandkids and many rounds of golf later they were still going strong. Sadly, in April 2010 my grandmother had a stroke. She can't really communicate anymore, and has been in a nursing home since. My grandfather has taken it all very hard, but keeps trying to live his life. I like looking at this picture of them and can't help think "60 years...we should all be so lucky." I'm glad I got to be there. 

No comments: