Monday, July 4, 2022

Schönbrunner Palace
















We kicked off another leg of our European tour this week! First stop, VIENNA AUSTRIA! Mitch had visions of grandeur, he wanted to do Zurich, Munich, Salzburg, Vienna and Budapest but we had to narrow it down a bit. 

The weather was perfect on day one. We started at the Schönbrunn Palace, it was the summer palace for the imperials of the Austrian Empire. So much history I was amazed. I remember studying parts of the Ottoman and Austrian Empire many years ago, but I didn’t recall this area being a part of the Roman Empire. I need to go back and re-read my European History. Emperor Franz the II was the last Emperor of the Roman Empire and then the 1st emperor of the Austrian Empire so he came to be known as Franz the I. His daughter was married to Nápoleon. Another Emperor married a daughter off to the leader of Brazil and another daughter was Marie Antoinette, let them eat Cake. 

I really enjoyed the history of Empire Franz Joseph, who married his cousin Elizabeth who was most often referred to as Sisi. She had her own museum at the Hofburg…the Imperial Apartments. She struggled with life in the public and often travelled and was on her own. She was nurses in her early 60’s by an Italian anarchists, stabbed with a file. 

I really felt uneducated about the history of this part of the world. I need to find a way to learn more and make it fun for the girls so they can relate the history back to all of our travels.


No comments: