Monday, December 6, 2021

La Sagrada Familia

 This post has taken me a while. I had to really think about the experience before writing about it. Shhhh, don't tell but I "edited" the date so all our travels are still in order. Looking at La Sagrada Familia from the outside you're absolutely in awe. There is so much detail. It's said that when Gaudi was working on the design and the timeline for the project he was quoted as saying "my client is not in a hurry. His client...God. There is no detail too small. The outside of the building tells a story. Before we entered I quickly noticed the musicians carved over the entrance. And after a few minutes I processed the whole scene. Mary and Joseph with baby Jesus at his birth, with angels over head. The shepherds were present, the livestock and of course the three kings. It was breathtaking. 

A great feature of this landmark, besides that fact that you can see if from just about anywhere in Barcelona because of it's size, is the mobile app that you can download. It had a listening or reading option. Mitch and my dad listened to the audio describing it all, while I chose to read it. That way I could stop and look for what was being described, take it in and move on. 

Gaudi was very deliberate in the planning. There were twelve enormous pillars inside the chapel to represent the disciples. In the very center were four different pillars, clearly labeled in stained glass. They read Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. At the back of the chapel is another door. Inscribed on the door is "Give us this day our daily bread" in fifty different languages. The stained glass was beautiful, everywhere you looked. At the front left there was a small private chapel area where you were welcome to silently pray. My mom and I went in to pray, as I was getting ready to leave, I saw Papa in the back praying too. I feel so very fortunate to have been able to experience this with my parents. My mom and I both prayed that in the Spring Dave and Tootie will be able to visit. The girls will have such wonderful memories of this trip with their Gigi and Papa. 

As we exited the main basilica, there was more to see. A museum of sorts with historic furniture and artifacts from the past. We spent quite a bit of time in the gift shop. Gigi got some scarfs, Papa found a painted tile that I think will look great in Tucson. Leah got a sketch book, Kiersten got some earrings and Hattie got a ring that resembled stained glass. It was such a great day!


























No comments: